Search This Blog

12.02.2010

Who's Doing The Assessing?

I just had a utility person come by to help me figure out what is wrong with our furnace.  The utility company called it an "assess and assist".  As my desk is now facing out the front window of the house, I had a good vantage point of the clown car, circus-esque show that unfolded in front of my house and made me wonder who needs assisting and who needs assessing?

The "utility-person" (p.c. term for gas man) rolled up and hopped out of their white ladder loaded truck. It was one of those situations where you weren't quite sure at first if it was a man or a manly woman. And I say hopped out of the truck, because they literally had to hop in order for the tiny feet of their 5 foot tall rounded body to reach the pavement.  They quickly grabbed a wrench that was as big as one of their arms and headed to the meter.  (Little legs moving very fast).  As they got closer to the door, I realized that on top of their interesting build and questionable gender identity, they were sporting a dark red (slightly purple-brown) crew cut.  The hair color somehow matched the freckled but olive skin tone.  Very interesting person.  They introduced themselves as "Chris" and I thought, Is that Chris as in Christopher or Chris as in Christine? Even Landon wasn't quite sure.  He sat on my hip with a furrowed eyebrow (staring at what I eventually figured out to be a man) with a very inviting look of "Who the hell are you?"

Anyway, turns out Chris lives in the same neighborhood as us, has a wife (go figure), is good at his job and was extremely helpful.  Lesson learned (again), don't judge a book by it's cover (or a man's manliness by his butch-lesbianish hair).

No comments:

Post a Comment